I mentioned on twitter (@rumtumtiggs) at the end of last week that I had recently taken advantage of Pick n Pay’s special they were running on Bar Ones in conjunction with the Bar One Man Hunt (http://www.barone.co.za/whatshappening.aspx ) and I was looking for suggestions on what to do with it. I considered making cupcakes or cheesecake but that would require me to buy additional ingredients and I would prefer to work with what I already had in the house.
After searching the interwebs I found this recipe and, while it listed Mars Bars, it was close enough to suit my needs. Since this recipe doesn’t call for the melting of butter and chocolate and it includes a raising agent, I wouldn’t actually consider it a brownie as the texture is more cake-like but it was enjoyed by the family never the less and it gave me an opportunity to play around with “food styling” as it was a decent subject to photograph.
American Brownies (http://www.lydiabakes.com/2011/07/mars-bar-brownie-recipe.html )
Robyn Brown Bakes Recipe Book
1/2 C Cocoa
1 1/2 C Sugar
1 C Flour
1 t Baking Powder
1 t Vanilla Essence
2 Mars Bars (chopped) or 100g “man sized” Bar One chocolate bar
1/4 C White Chocolate Buttons
1) Melt butter in a saucepan large enough to mix all the ingredients.
2) Mix in cocoa.
3) Remove from heat and stir in sugar.
4) Add eggs and beat well using a wooden spoon.
5) Sift flour and baking powder into the mixture. Add vanilla.
6) Add chocolate if desired and mix to combine.
6) Pour into a 20 x 30cm sponge roll tin with a baking paper-lined base.
7) Bake at 180 Degrees C for 25 – 30 minutes or until brownie springs back when touched.